oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-request: Roundcube XSS issues

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () rcf-smtp mitre org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:29:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Kurt Seifried wrote:

2, Issue 2a: Description: Stored XSS in e-mail body. Ticket:
http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1488613 Upstream patch:

[snip]

Issue 2b: Self XSS in e-mail body (Signature). Ticket:
http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1488613 Upstream patch:
[snip]

Please use CVE-2012-3508 for these two issues (same version, same type
of vuln so cve merge).

Further investigation into ticket 1488613 shows that the developer thinks that issue 2b doesn't need a backport to 0.7. This would suggest a SPLIT based on different affected versions.

Plus it's not immediately clear whether this "self XSS" is really an XSS or not - if I can modify my own signature, then I already have the "privileges" on my browser to run script. But, if this "self XSS" is really just reflected XSS, then that's a security issue to worry about. This requires expertise in the Roundcube codebase to answer for sure, though.

So, we should probably SPLIT this CVE.

CVE-2012-3508 - Issue 2a - Stored XSS in e-mail body

(new) CVE-2012-4668 - Issue 2b - Self XSS in e-mail body (Signature)

- Steve