oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: MySQL CVEs (was: Security vulnerability in MySQL/MariaDB sql/password.c)

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () rcf-smtp mitre org>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:22:40 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I'm really not sure about the best way to handle this. We definitely want to avoid duplicates or triplicates as much as possible.

I of course don't speak for Oracle, but they are generally reluctant to comment on CVE mappings or exploit details in any public forum (although they have privately provided CVEs to the original researchers if asked). I will discuss this issue with them using existing CVE communication channels, but I'm not sure when I will have an answer or clarification that resolves this complicated interaction between open source and closed source philosophies.

Meanwhile, I will ensure that we have updates for the already-assigned CVEs that are not covered in Oracle CPUs, and note the *potential* duplicates in the descriptions, along with the usual statement that emphasizes that Oracle has not commented.

- Steve