oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE id request for imagemagick, libpng and tiff

From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 05:31:03 +0200

Hi,
* Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com> [2012-04-10 04:54]:
On 04/09/2012 08:31 PM, Nico Golde wrote:
We received 3 bug reports targeting imagemagick, libpng and tiff
crashing on input when used with electric fence indicating memory
errors on handling crafted input. From what I see no CVE ids have
been assigned to these bugs yet.

Can someone assign ids? libpng:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=668082 (apparently
fixed in 1.2.48 with a removal of the buggy function)

tiff: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=668087

imagemagick:

Do any of these crashes occur without electric fence? Also I think
Vincent Fourmond <fourmond () debian org> stated it succinctly:

"On what do you base your claim that it is a user security hole ?
While I agree that it is a bug, I fail to see how a crash at the end
of a program's execution (cleanup time) necessarily is a user security
hole, hence downgrading the severity. Feel free to raise it up again
if you have arguments to back your claim."

Ack. The imagemagick bug at least seems to be a false positive create by an
efence bug.

Cheers
Nico
--