oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE id assignment dates

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () rcf-smtp mitre org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:10:55 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012, Michael Gilbert wrote:

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Steven M. Christey wrote:
We do not publish any dates related to disclosure, patch, or vendor
notification; interested parties can consult other databases that explicitly
track this information, such as OSVDB.

Just curious, why not?  It seems like this kind of information would
be invaluable for researchers interested anthropological/statistical
studies of security vulnerabilities.

Despite public perception, CVE is *not* a vulnerability database (although the National Vulnerability Database [NVD], which extends CVE, *is*). For CVE, our primary role has always been to provide standard vulnerability identifiers that everybody can use, so our analysis is focused on that particular task, which keeps us busy enough :-) Tracking disclosure-related information is outside the scope of our project (and finding this information can take more time than you'd expect). We use an imprecise notion of disclosure date so we can determine which year to place in the CVE-YYYY-nnnn identifier, but that's it.

I completely agree that tracking this kind of information is important, and I've personally wanted to see disclosure-related stats for years. I specifically mentioned OSVDB because they are trying to track this information at a greater level of detail than any other effort I know of. And, by virtue of being an *open source* vulnerability database, others can contribute to it.

- Steve