oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: crypt_blowfish 8-bit character mishandling

From: The Fungi <fungi () yuggoth org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:56:28 +0000

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 06:05:54PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
[...]
Does anyone need this? Or do we just assume that passwords with
non-ASCII characters are uncommon enough that we can bite the
bullet (of fixing the bug) without providing any backwards
compatibility workaround?
[...]

Would it make sense to include transitional compatability calls
which preserve the original behavior? Then applications using the
library can be adjusted to fall back on the buggy version if the
supplied data has 8-bit characters and the corrected calls don't
result in a match. This would allow tools to regenerate and replace
non-conforming hashes if they were the result of this bug, and might
make it easier to audit existing lists for them as well.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi () yuggoth org); FINGER(fungi () yuggoth org);