oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request for Wireshark 1.4.6/1.2.16 Multiple DoS issues

From: Huzaifa Sidhpurwala <huzaifas () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:27:19 +0530

On 06/01/2011 05:24 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
I didn't see any CVE's in the Wireshark Bug tracking/advisory nor
could I find these in the Red Hat Bugzilla (but I'm guessing as a CNA
they have CVE #'s assigned?)

Red Hat did not assign any CVE ids yet, since most of the work mentioned
below was done by me on my personal time :)

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala of the Red Hat Security Response Team discovered
that a corrupted Diameter dictionary file could crash Wireshark.
Versions affected: 1.2.0 to 1.2.16 and 1.4.0 to 1.4.6.
This is a memory corruption flaw caused by using a custom config files.
You will normally have to social engineer the victim to use a malicious
config file and then run wireshark

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala of the Red Hat Security Response Team discovered
that a corrupted snoop file could crash Wireshark. (Bug 5912)
Versions affected: 1.2.0 to 1.2.16 and 1.4.0 to 1.4.6.

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala of the Red Hat Security Response Team discovered
that a corrupted Visual Networks file could crash Wireshark. (Bug
5934)
Versions affected: 1.2.0 to 1.2.16 and 1.4.0 to 1.4.6.

Both of the above are integer overflow issues, which cause subsequent
memory corruption.

http://www.wireshark.org/security/wnpa-sec-2011-07.html
http://www.wireshark.org/security/wnpa-sec-2011-08.html

Steve, could you please assign CVE ids to the issues mentioned in the
above URLs? thanks.

--
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala / Red Hat Security Response Team