oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Possible security fixes in 5.05?

From: Vincent Danen <vdanen () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 11:37:29 -0600

* [2011-03-21 23:16:15 -0600] Raphael Geissert wrote:

Hi,

From file's 5.05 changelog[1] it seems like some security-relevant changes were
made, but I'm unable to find further information. I saw a git repository being
mentioned in a message but I can't find it either.

Can anyone please shed some light to the security-related changes?

I would like to encourage developers to communicate such kind of issues openly
in this list, as it helps getting them fixed in distributions.

Thanks in advance.

[1]http://mx.gw.com/pipermail/file/2011/000690.html

Looks like there are a few issues here:

    * Fix two potential buffer overruns in apprentice_list.

https://github.com/glensc/file/commit/148f1089b5c4f5ec5d51c2f147379817cb9ac47d

    * Minor security fix to softmagic.c (don't use untrusted
      string as printf format).

https://github.com/glensc/file/commit/b05926f28f3cab0ef77101f89be154329dcb8dea

I have not looked at them in more depth to see how much of a problem they are,
or when they were introduced (in order to know which versions are affected),
etc.

I'm cc'ing Christos to see if he can perhaps enlighten us.

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Security Response Team