oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Suid mount helpers fail to anticipate RLIMIT_FSIZE

From: "Patrick J. Volkerding" <security () slackware com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:55:47 -0500

On 03/31/2011 08:43 AM, Dan Rosenberg wrote:
I'd also
like to see distributions migrating away from /etc/mtab in general,
since /proc/mounts seems like a much better replacement.

I imagine that mount's -f (fake mount by editing mtab) and -n (mount without editing mtab) options are not going to work if /etc/mtab becomes a symbolic link to /proc/mounts, so that's liable to break a few things. In the long run it does seem like a good plan, but there might be a few bumps in the road. I wonder what the rationale was for faking mtab mounts in the first place?