oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: kernel: heap corruption in IrDA

From: Eugene Teo <eugene () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:59:53 +0800

On 03/21/2011 03:26 AM, Dan Rosenberg wrote:
When providing an invalid IrDA nickname for an IrNET peer, a local
attacker can cause a kernel panic due to an underflow in a memcpy()
size calculation or cause a controllable heap overflow that may lead
to privilege escalation.  Write access to the /dev/irnet device file
is required to trigger the vulnerability.

Reference:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=130060169116047&w=2

The default permissions for /dev/irnet is root-read/write only. In the past I have ignored such issues that can only be triggered by root, even though the permissions can be changed. I wouldn't assign a CVE name for this. CC'ed Steve.

Thanks, Eugene
--
main(i) { putchar(182623909 >> (i-1) * 5&31|!!(i<7)<<6) && main(++i); }