oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-NONE kernel: PHONET signedness issue

From: Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:54:22 -0500

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 13:20:49 +0800, Eugene Teo wrote:
re: http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2011/Jan/39

Just in case someone tries to request a CVE name for this, I'm not
requesting for one because if you need CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability to
exploit this, you are already privileged.

Right, but CAP_SYS_ADMIN != root, or at least it isn't meant to be. I
mean if CAP_SYS_ADMIN == root, then one or the other doesn't need to
exist. There is an exposure here, and for that it deserves a CVE
identifier (of course in my opinion).  See Brad Spengler's recent
write-up [0]. There should be some effort toward making those 21 root
equivalent capabilities discussed there non-equivalent.

Best wishes,
Mike

[0] http://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2522