oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () rcf-smtp mitre org>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:44:26 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Kees Cook wrote:

This certainly underscores that very few flaws need vendor-sec
coordination, but I would suspect that out of those roughly 725 flaws,
many of the really critical ones came through vendor-sec.

As an outsider with limited visibility into vendor-sec, this would be my impression too. I would imagine that things like major protocol design flaws or critical, hard-to-fix bugs in popular software would still need coordination across multiple parties with a need for non-disclosure for a relatively long period of time. Maybe vendor-sec-2 could handle that need.

- Steve