oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Breaking the links: Exploiting the linker

From: Tim Brown <timb () nth-dimension org uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:55:36 +0000

On Thursday 16 December 2010 17:00:57 Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello Tim, all,

Tim Brown <timb@...> writes:
In the interests of a thorough peer review I'd be curious what people
think of the following paper I've been working on Linux and POSIX
linkers:

http://www.nth-dimension.org.uk/downloads.php?id=77

Replacing
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/dir/name

with
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-/dir/name}

changes semantics in a way that are not generally desirable: if I want to
append a directory to the search path, then the latter is not the way to
do it (because it doesn't change the path if the variable is already set).
Rather, I think you meant
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:}/dir/name

Actually, I think Tomas' has the correct suggestion although yes, the line in
the paper is incorrect.

On page 5, the footnotes have several markup errors resulting in weird PDF
output.

I suggest using the url package for nicer URL typesetting (in case you're
writing this with LaTeX) and the hyperref package with
\hypersetup{pdfborder={0 0 0}} for decent clickable links.

Great, LaTeX tips are always helpful.

Tim
--
Tim Brown