oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: kernel: Dangerous interaction between clear_child_tid, set_fs(), and kernel oopses

From: Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:00:44 -0500

Please note that this is the issue I was referring to in my previous
post.  Thanks, list moderators, for the amusing timing.  :)

-Dan

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Nelson Elhage <nelhage () ksplice com> wrote:
I've discovered an interesting interaction in the Linux kernel between the
clear_child_tid feature of clone(2), and the set_fs() function used internally
in the kernel to temporarily disable access_ok() checking of userspace pointers.

Under some (not totally uncommon) circumstances, it is possible for a user to
leverage this interaction to turn a kernel oops or BUG() into a write of an
integer 0 to a user-controlled address in kernel memory.

I'm not sure if this merits a CVE or not; It is (as far as I can tell) only a
problem in the presence of another security bug, but it potentially makes a
large class of bugs significantly more dangerous (DoS -> privesc).

Reference:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/12/1/543

- Nelson