oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request -- Mercurial --Doesn't verify subject Common Name properly

From: Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers () canonical com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:02:02 -0500

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 16:58 -0500, Steven M. Christey wrote:
Ouch, this is painful for a number of reasons.

Maybe Python "should" get the CVE, but the decision to push the issue to
application developers means that those developers will each have to
provide fixes, and software consumers will have to track these related
vulns at the application level.

(One could make the same argument about fundamental design flaws in
standards-based protocols, for which CVE generally assigns a single
identifier, but those issues generally feel "different" to me.  Quite
logical, I know...)

Anyway, I think we need to assign separate CVEs for each affected product
as an instance of "an implementation not working around security-relevant
design limitations of APIs" (which is consistent with the approach that
CVE has taken with respect to the DLL hijacking / insecure library loading
issues of the past couple months.)

Thanks for the clarification. Here are some more projects that need CVEs
for this issue:

libcloud:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LIBCLOUD-55
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcloud/+bug/675217