oss-sec mailing list archives

Small exposure in ocfs2 fast symlinks.

From: Joel Becker <Joel.Becker () oracle com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:04:07 -0700

Hey Everyone,
        We just discovered that ocfs2 could walk off the end of fast
symlinks -- that is, symlinks that are stored directly in the inode
block.  ocfs2 terminates these with NUL characters, but a disk
corruption or an attacker with direct access to the ocfs2 disk could
overwrite the NUL.  Following the symlink via the filesystem would walk
off the end of the in-memory block buffer.  We're not sure how
exploitable this is, but I figured I'd provide a heads-up.  The fix is
in ocfs2's git tree and will be sent upstream tonight.  Erratas with the
fix are being built.
        If someone thinks we should have a CVE, please provide me with
the number.  Otherwise, just FYI.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #267

        "Lie on your back and look at the stars."

Joel Becker
Consulting Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker () oracle com