oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: epiphany not checking ssl certs

From: Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:58:55 -0400

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:45:28 -0400 (EDT), Steven M. Christey wrote:

If an application does not advertise a security feature, then in general
we will not give a CVE because of its absence of the feature (I don't want
to give out 50,000 CVEs for every protocol that does cleartext
transmission... or uses DES... etc.)  Similarly, we generally avoid
assigning CVEs to "defense in depth" fixes, although the line between
"vulnerability" and "defense in depth" can get fuzzy.

The http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=564690#5 title says
"Does not longer check certificates" which could be interpreted to mean
that it used to check certs, and now it doesn't.  If that's the case, then
it makes sense to assign a CVE.

The feature was lost in the transition from gecko to webkit (or more
accurately libsoup for certificate support). I think it makes sense to
assign an id since it does involve the loss of an expected security
feature.

Mike