oss-sec mailing list archives

CVE Request: kernel: hvc_console: Fix race between hvc_close and hvc_remove

From: dann frazier <dannf () dannf org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:16:55 -0600

[cc'ing coley () linus mitre org]

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:06:41PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:26:46PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:15:42 -0400 Michael Gilbert wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 17:03:58 +0800 Eugene Teo wrote:

Heads-up. You might want to backport this if your kernel is affected. We
are not requesting a CVE name for this as it does not affect any of our
Red Hat supported kernels.

are you sure about this?  i see the vulnerable code upstream in both
2.6.26 and 2.6.32.  does redhat not ship hvc in their kernels?  i think
this should get a cve id because the more vanilla distros will have
shipped with this included.

i see that hvc_console is disabled by default in the debian kernels,

Actually, upon review, I see that it is enabled (see the powerpc64
image). Therefore, I'd like to request a CVE ID for it.

and i assume it is the same for the redhat kernels.

are issues in features that are disabled by default generally treated
as unimportant? there are bound to be a (perhaps small) subset of users
turning these features on; exposing themselves to more risk if these
issues go unfixed. i suppose cve assignment depends on whether or not
there is an expectation to protect those users in addition to
defaults-using users.

mike

--
dann frazier