oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: [Security] /proc infoleaks

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 21:19:03 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 01:13:45PM +0200, Sebastian Krahmer wrote:
On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 03:51:03AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:35:46 +0200 Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer () suse de> wrote:

I have been elected to receive the bashing from all sides,
so here we go.
It is not about a new vulnerability or even a new discussion
but needs to be discussed, at least that we have a clear
statement about the status quo.

Recent i-CAN-haz-MODHARDEN.c has shown once *again* that
certain file permissions make no sense except to exploitation
development. There is no reason to have files like

/proc/kallsyms
/proc/slabinfo
/proc/zoneinfo

and probably a lot of others world readable. The symbol
addresses might be hard-coded for a certain targetlist
inside the exploit so you can argue that there
wont be any protection benefit from making it unreadable.
However this argument aint a reason to also leak it for self-compiled
kernels and doesnt even hold for dynamic/runtime content
like slabinfos etc.
It would be nice to have something like

echo 1 > /proc/quiet

or something like a umask for kernel-owned proc
entries so that you have a polite default and are
still able to enable it for certain profiling tools
or whereever you need it.

chmod 0440 /proc/slabinfo

Heh, indeed. :-)
Would it be a bad idea to have proc_create() use a more strict
mode so it is non-leaking by default?

Yeah, sane and a bit more strict, defaults are missing.

The little pieces of information leakage out of the kernel should be fixed,
to raise the bar for kernel exploits in little steps at a time.

Ciao, Marcus