oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: BGP protocol vulnerability

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:07:06 +0200

* Kurt Seifried:

The BGP protocol and its various extensions require that BGP peering
sessions are terminated when a peer receives a BGP update message
which it considers semantically incorrect, leading to a persistent
denial-of-service condition if the update is received again after the
terminated session is reestablished.

(This is not something new at all---we just need to get up, treat it
as a vulnerability, and fix it.)

This sounds like CVE-2010-3035
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20100827-bgp.shtml

In this context, I don't like that the peer on the receiving end
resets the session.  It's got a significant impact on availability,
and the resulting UPDATE churn hurts everybody a little bit.

In short, I think there are two bugs: IOS XR producing bad data, and
other implementations dealing badly with it.