oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2010-2791: mod_proxy information leak affecting 2.2.9 only

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:23:58 -0400 (EDT)

A subtle comment here. Arguably, this is the same core bug and could have been merged into CVE-2010-2068, even though the versions are different. Effectively, you've got multiple independent "streams" of 2.2.x Apache - which vary by operating system - and there's no overlap between which "stream" is affected by CVE-2010-2791 versus the ones that are affected by CVE-2010-2068. And there are no regression errors. This general abstraction difficulty applies to most software that runs on multiple platforms, where each platform has slightly different up-to-date versions, or delays in fixes for some platforms versus others. (You could extend the logic to how each distro maintains its own versions of common software...)

However, this is a fairly arcane point that demonstrates the difficulty of keeping CVE consistent with only a couple simple rules (split-by-vulntype and split-by-version), instead of getting mired in lots of exceptions.

As a practical matter, this is a fairly important distinction, and if we were to MERGE into CVE-2010-2068 and update the description, that might not be enough of a "signal" to sysadmins that they have to re-evaluate their security posture. So I'm reluctantly OK with leaving CVE-2010-2791 separate - but I don't want to set this up as a formal precedent for these kinds of abstraction choices for later disclosures.

- Steve