oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [oCERT-2010-001] multiple http client unexpected download filename vulnerability

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:32:31 +0400

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:53:12AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
I brought this issue to the bug-wget list:

[Bug-wget] security risk of unexpected download filenames
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-05/msg00023.html

Micah, the previous wget maintainer who is still active on the bug-wget
list, has commented on the issue:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-05/msg00031.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-05/msg00033.html

It sounds like he does not mind a fix like Florian's patch getting
included upstream.  We'll see what the current maintainers say.

In another bug-wget posting, I described an attack that does not involve
a Unix user's home directory and a dot-file:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-wget/2010-05/msg00032.html

It works against wget of a file into a website "document root" tree and
it may take advantage of index.html taking precedence over index.php.

Alexander