oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: libesmtp does not check NULL bytes in commonName

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:26:16 +0300

Formally, they are not. But de facto they are there for a long time.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 02:23:22PM +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Brian Stafford wrote:
Since both the original and patched versions of match_component()
implement wildcards rather less liberally than RFC 2818 implies, I
decided to move towards the approach in the I-D.  match_component() now
accepts either a string or a single wildcard '*'.  Matched characters
are validated against the set of valid domain name component characters
, that is, *.example.org will not match %.example.org, nor for that
matter will the pattern %.example.org.  Question: should underline '_'
be in the set of valid characters?

AFAIK underlines are not allowed in DNS. I'm sure someone knows the
RFC for that too :-)