oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CFPs and con invitations on the list

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:35:41 +0300

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 06:48:05PM -0500, Jon Oberheide wrote:
Guofei at Georgia Tech maintains a list of the top few tiers of academic
security conferences:

http://faculty.cs.tamu.edu/guofei/sec_conf_stat.htm

While I'm not implying that this should be used as a strict whitelist
for academic CFP announcements, it's something to keep in mind when
maintaining a high SNR.

Thanks.  Unfortunately, this is not usable to screen announcements of
those non-academic cons like CanSecWest or HITB.  Also, I would like
moderation decisions to be simpler.  Unfortunately, the only way to make
them simpler appears to be to get back to rejecting any and all
"conference stuff".  Maybe this is the right thing to do, maybe not.

That said, I won't be approving any further "multi-conference" stuff,
but I've just approved a HITB announcement...  BTW, Hafez Kamal has been
a subscriber to oss-security for a while.

We currently have 473 e-mail addresses subscribed to oss-security
(including a few feeds for web-based archives).

Alexander