oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE id request: GNU libc: NIS shadow password leakage

From: Tomas Hoger <thoger () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:52:08 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 00:09:09 +0100 Christoph Pleger
<Christoph.Pleger () cs tu-dortmund de> wrote:

I may be missing something here, or perhaps I'm not remembering
correctly, but NIS basically doesn't have any security in this
respect. This bug implies that a user has some sort of access to
the NIS client, but the NIS server would happily hand out the same
data if the malicious user asked for it (not using glibc let's
say). While this may be a glibc bug (I doubt it, as it would just
be a false sense of security), I this this is a non issue.

No, that's not true. I have no experience with Linux NIS servers, but
when the NIS server runs on Solaris (Sun Microsystems is the inventor
of NIS), the shadow password information, which is in the
passwd.adjunct.byname map, on the NIS clients can only be seen by
root. When other users call for example "ypcat
passwd.adjunct.byname", they get an error message that the map does
not exist. Also, on Solaris NIS clients, the shadow password cannot
be seen with getpwnam.

According to ypserv.conf man page [1], it is possible to restrict data
from some map only to clients using a privileged (< 1024) source port.
Does Solaris possibly do the same (when configured to do so)?

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/5/ypserv.conf

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team