oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: php 5.3.1 - "max_file_uploads" [was: Re: [oss-security] CVE request: php 5.3.1 update]

From: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:18:14 +0100

Eren Türkay wrote:
On Friday 20 November 2009 12:41:50 pm Thomas Biege wrote:
* Added "max_file_uploads" INI directive, which can be set to limit the
number of file uploads per-request to 20 by default, to prevent possible
DOS via temporary file exhaustion.

Bogdan Calin disclosed the details about that vulnerability on full-disclosure mailing list. He didn't disclosed his script but I wrote a PoC that works like a charm. It makes DoS possible for any server that runs PHP within 1 minute with a few requests.

Additionally, this vulnerability affects 5.2.11. I guess all products before PHP 5.3.1 are vulnerable.

I think this deserves CVE Id. Any ideas?

  Josh, could you please allocate one?

Also changed the topic to match only 'php 5.3.1 - "max_file_uploads"' thing,
so it isn't lost in other mails.

Thanks && Regards, Jan.
--
Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Red Hat Security Response Team