oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: oping allows the disclosure of arbitrary file contents

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:01:40 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, yersinia wrote:

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com> wrote:
----- "Julien Tinnes" <julien.tinnes () gmail com> wrote:

[snip]

I took a look in the oping source. Without another security flaw, this is just
a bug, oping doesn't do anything while still root that could be an issue. I
agree that it should be fixed, it is a serious bug, but an attacker cannot do
anything nefarious with this flaw.
I think that the upstream mantainer should be have the last word
http://verplant.org/liboping/

This says:

  2009-09-29 Version 1.3.3 is available. The new release fixes a serious
  security issue in oping: If the application is installed with the
  SetUID-bit, anybody on the system could use oping to read arbitrary
  files using the "-f" option.

So as stated, this sounds worthy of a CVE to me.  Thoughts?

- Steve