oss-sec mailing list archives

X server umask issue

From: Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:09:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a second opinion, and wondering if anyone has some extra insight
into this Debian bug:

It seems that the suid X server inherits the users umask, and if you have a umask
of 0, the X log file will end up being world writable. This is obviously a very
silly thing to do anyhow, so I question if that's a security flaw itself. It is a
bug that should probably be fixed I'd say.

What I am wondering though, are there other files the X server creates that could
be an issue for this? I'm not aware of any, but I'm also not an expert by any
stretch of the imagination. Am I missing something else?

Thanks.

--
    JB