oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE id request: php5

From: Tomas Hoger <thoger () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0200

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:20:14 -0500 (EST) "Steven M. Christey"
<coley () linus mitre org> wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Joe Orton wrote:

If the script is taking untrusted input data and passing it
unsanitized as the "key" argument to a dba_replace() call, it can
override arbitrary keys in the ini file anyway.  Truncating the ini
file to zero length seems like a less severe problem than being
able to write (arbitrary?) data to arbitrary keys.

We don't have any formal criteria for this kind of thing, but in
general, we ask whether there are realistic scenarios under which an
attack can succeed, and if any additional privileges are gained
versus normal methods.  These questions are particularly applicable
to language interpreters and compilers.  Given this scenario, it
seems unrealistic that an app would perform a dba_replace() with
user-controlled input - and if it does, then it's a vuln in the
application, not PHP itself.  So it doesn't seem to require a CVE.

Just for posterity, this got CVE-2008-7068 after all.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team