oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Some fun with tcp_wrappers

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 20:44:49 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not sure how to handle this from a CVE perspective, except:

 - if the API functions perform as documented, as Wietse says, then
   separate CVEs would need to be assigned for applications that misuse
   the API.

 - If there is a separate bug that causes tcp_wrappers to
   allow hosts in ways that are contrary to specification, then that
   would be treated as a problem in tcp_wrappers (whether it's from
   Wietse or some downstream modification).

 - If there's a problem due to incomplete documentation, that's a
   somewhat unique case for CVE that would require more thought (although
   not a first occurrence since Apple had a bad-documentation bug a year
   or two ago)

Jan and Tomas - Red Hat bug 491095 mentions CVE-2009-0786 but I'm not
clear on how to write it up given the state of the discussion at this
point.

- Steve