oss-sec mailing list archives

Linux kernels and security issues?

From: Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:19:53 +0200

Hi,

As we know, the linux kernel guys have security policies one can find
questionable.

Though, I'm asking myself how to handle that? For 2.6.29.3, I read (here) that
an exploit is floating around (can be found on milw0rm) - so I pretty much
noted that it's probably a good idea to update.

Now we have 2.6.29.4 and I don't know if I should update again - I have some
production servers where I'd like to avoid rebooting too often. The Changelog
of a kernel minor release usually consists of several dozent entries - with
lots of them I don't understand.

What I'd like to have is a short list of all security relevant changes,
including some information giving me hints if I may be affected (i.e. affects
core functionality or only a driver, filesystem, protocol I may or may not
use). Is there some place in the net providing such information?
If someone (ocert?) wants to do the free software world a big favor, this
would be really a great service.

--
Hanno Böck              Blog:           http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20           Jabber/Mail:    hanno () hboeck de

http://schokokeks.org - professional webhosting