oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: php mb_ereg_replace()

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:47:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Christian Hoffmann wrote:

Regarding CVE... I'm not sure. It is not a vulnerability in PHP. It's a
missing functionality which very very easily leads to severe security
problems in apps which make use of the affected functions. And, this
missing functionality is usually expected to be there, as preg_replace
works like that. So.. tough case, imo.

We don't have a CVE for the fact that strcpy() exists - it can be used
safely even though it's dangerous.  My interpretation of this issue was
the same, so no CVE is needed.  Any PHP application that misuses
mb_ereg_replace(), however, is fair game.

(We already have a handful of CVEs for executable regexp's in PHP apps)

- Steve