oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: kernel: sctp: Fix oops when INIT-ACK indicates that peer doesn't support AUTH

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:46:39 -0400 (EDT)

This is one of those "I don't know what I'm typing" descriptions so any
clarification would be welcome.

- Steve

Name: CVE-2008-4576
Reference: MLIST:[linux-kernel] 20081006 [patch 58/71] sctp: Fix oops when INIT-ACK indicates that peer doesnt support
AUTH
Reference: URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/981012?page=last
Reference: CONFIRM:http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.25.18

sctp in Linux kernel before 2.6.25.18 allows remote attackers to cause
a denial of service (OOPS) via an INIT-ACK that states the peer does
not support AUTH, which causes the sctp_process_init function to clean
up active transports and triggers the OOPS when the T1-Init timer
expires.