oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2008-4619 / milw0rm6775

From: Tomas Hoger <thoger () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:02:21 +0100

Hi Steven!

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:18:36 -0400 (EDT) "Steven M. Christey"
<coley () linus mitre org> wrote:

Looks like this is a dupe of CVE-2007-0165 after all...

  http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/21964/
  http://secunia.com/advisories/23700/
  http://secunia.com/advisories/32403/

Nothing against these sources but in general CVE wants a solid "logic
chain" between 2 descriptions before declaring a dupe.  In this case
CVE-2007-0165 is anchored on a very vague description from Sun about
something in libnsl.  CVE-2008-4619 is quite specific.  Just because
it's the same rpcbind service is insufficient as we all know that the
same package can contain multiple security bugs.

Sorry for not choosing word properly here.  I probably should have used
"looks like this *may* be a dupe of...".  My reasoning for calling it
dupe was that CVE-2007-0165 links BID-21964, which has the same exploit
attached as is available on milw0rm as 6775.  It's not clear when
exploit code was added to the BID, though.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team