oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request for ecryptfs

From: Jamie Strandboge <jamie () canonical com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:28:25 -0500

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Tomas Hoger wrote:

Hi Jamie!

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:16:28 -0500 Jamie Strandboge
<jamie () canonical com> wrote:

While reviewing ecryptfs, I discovered an information disclosure
vulnerability in ecryptfs-setup-private and notified upstream. This
helper script was known as ecryptfs-setup-confidential in earlier
releases.

The problem arises when ecryptfs-setup-private invokes
ecryptfs-wrap-passphrase and ecryptfs-add-passphrase with command line
arguments that include the user's existing login password as well as
the newly created mount password. As a result, these passwords can be
snooped in the process table.

Well the question is whether this should be worded as
ecryptfs-setup-{private,confidential} issue, or more generic issue
affecting various ecryptfs-* command line utilities, that only accept
passwords as command line arguments (i.e. no interactive prompt).  So
even though there's not ecryptfs-setup-* script to fix in older
versions, steps done by ecryptfs-setup-* are likely to be performed by
the user manually, resulting in the same risk of leak as with helper
script.  Or do I miss anything?

That's exactly right, which reminded me, documentation surrounding
ecryptfs also should be updated. I pinged upstream about it.

I was also notified of an additional commit that is desirable (a bugix
for the patch to ecryptfs-setup-private):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mhalcrow/ecryptfs-utils.git;a=commit;h=2c422e6d2549f90258cddeebf105b066b598bdbb

Jamie

--
Ubuntu Security Engineer     | http://www.ubuntu.com/