oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request for dnsmasq DoS

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:57:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Jamie Strandboge wrote:

Hi,

There is a remote DoS in dnsmasq 2.25 (and presumably earlier) that is
fixed in 2.26. Details can be found at [1]. Can we get a CVE assigned
for this?

I'm not sure I fully understand Thierry Carrez' comment about the security
implications of this issue.  It seems like an exploit would require a
malicious DHCP server, in which case isn't DHCP service already
compromised?  If so, then a crash of dnsmasq (null dereference?) doesn't
seem to be any worse than the loss of DHCP itself.

- Steve