oss-sec mailing list archives

DNS vulnerability: other relevant software

From: Matthias Geerdsen <vorlon () gentoo org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:07:01 +0200

Hi,

looking at some of the DNS related software in our tree, I thought it might be nice to keep track of any findings of affected and unaffected packages...
So here is a start:

- posadis [1]:
has not seen an update since dec 2004; I could not find any info on port randomization etc., but considering the age it might probably have other issues too.

- dnsmasq [2]:
        no port randomization [3]

- pdnsd [4]:
        no info yet

- MaraDNS [5]:
"MaraDNS uses a strong secure RNG for both the query (16 bits of entropy) and the source port of the query (12 bits of entropy). This makes spoofing replies to a MaraDNS server more difficult, since the attacker has only a one in 250 million chance that a given spoofed reply will be considered valid." [6]

- MyDNS [7]:
        "MyDNS does not include recursive name service, nor a resolver library."
        also this thread [8]

- DNRD [9]: "Uses random source port and random query ID's to prevent cache poisoning."

Matthias

[1] <http://posadis.sourceforge.net/>
[2] <http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc>
[3] <http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2008q3/002147.html>