oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE id request: mktemp

From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:57:20 +0200

Hi Todd,
* Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller () courtesan com> [2008-08-18 13:54]:
In message <20080818085956.GB29717 () suse de>
      so spake Sebastian Krahmer (krahmer):

BTW, mktemp(1) is using O_EXCL anyway, so I dont see
an issue. Additionally all of our scripts use
more than 6 X' as also shown in the
example section of the manpage. We are not going to
release updates for this non-issue.

I don't think it is a security issue either.  Vendors can also just
configure mktemp with the --with-libc flag to use the libc
mkstemp()/mkdtemp() functions instead of the bundled version if
they prefer.

I disagree because mktemp offers the functionality of just
creating the file name and instantly unlinking it thus only
providing the generation of a random name. While I don't
think that many scripts rely on this it can be the case.

--with-libc is not used by some vendors because it limits
the template used for the file name. mktemp from coreutils
should be a better choice any way...

Cheers
Nico
--