oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: phpmyadmin < 2.11.8

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:23:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Nico Golde wrote:

Name: CVE-2008-3457

Hmm where is the issue here? Sure the application is
vulnerable if an attacker can edit a file that is included
all over the place. I think you have way more problems than
an XSS in setup.php in such a case.

I agree that it doesn't sound like much of an issue (and setup.php being
left around sounds suspicious in itself), but we take the approach that if
a vendor thinks it's important enough to issue a security advisory, we'll
tag it on the assumption that vendors don't have any motivation to
over-inflate the importance of a bug without some consideration of
security risk.

- Steve