oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: source for CVE feed (was: Re: [oss-security] CVE request: httrack buffer overflow)

From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:56:04 +0200

Hi Steven,
* Steven M. Christey <coley () linus mitre org> [2008-08-04 20:16]:
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

Considering your statement we would better be using one of the XML Data feeds
from http://nvd.nist.gov/download.cfm , right? Or would you recommend another
feed (e.g. the one where NVD gets its data from)?

NVD's XML data feed is probably the best out there that's publicly
available.  Representatives of CVE-compatible product authors,
vulnerability databases, and software vendors can get direct access to an
email-based feed from MITRE, which is the feed that NVD uses.  MITRE
hasn't opened this to the general public because most people would use it
like a database, and we don't want to compete with other feeds out there.
Guess that's kind of silly these days given that NVD turns it around in 5
minutes, but there it is.

In June you said more regular updates to the MITRE site will probably happen
this summer. This was what I was waiting for so we don't need to adapt the software
behind our security tracker :) Any news on this?

Kind regards
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - nion () jabber ccc de - GPG: 0x73647CFF