oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: More arbitrary code executions in Netrw version 125, Vim 7.2a.10

From: "Jan Minář" <rdancer () rdancer org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:05:28 +0100

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Tomas Hoger <thoger () redhat com> wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:57:48 +0100 "Jan Minář" <rdancer () rdancer org>
wrote:

Version 109 is probably too old.  There has been a lot of
functionality added since, and I presume a lot of refactoring done
too.  According to the [0]Netrw version history, marking files (used
by netrw.v2 & netrw.v3) was introduced in version 111.

Agree.  netrw 109 bundled with vim 7.1 does not implement mz and mc
commands, so is not affected by .v2 and .v3.  This was already
mentioned in this thread.

On the other hand, these vulnerabilities should not depend on the Vim
version; the TIOCSTI method used in netrw.v4 ``test'' target may not
be very portable outside Un*x though.

But 109 (and older) is affected by D command / .v4 issue, just the test
case does not work with 109 out of the box.  Test assumes that the
cursor in on the line right above the one showing crafted file name,
but that does not seem to be correct assumption for 109 (netrw version
differences or locale changes, I haven't really investigated).  See
suggestion in my other reply.

I have updated the test suite, it tests v110 correctly as VULNERABLE now:

http://www.rdancer.org/vulnerablevim-latest.tar.bz2

Thanks.

Jan.