oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: list: members vs. read-only subscribers

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:56:04 +0400

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:35:53PM -0400, Josh Bressers wrote:
Here is my proposal, technical issues aside (we are smart people, we'll
figure something out).

* The current member list can post unmoderated
* New subscribers (anyone can subscribe) will be moderated by default, but
  can have the moderation flag lifted when the prove to be useful
  contributors (we need to define what a useful contributor is)
* Non members can post, but will be moderated (if spam is an issue, we
  could consider just throwing this stuff out, but I'd really like to avoid
  it if possible)

I think that this should appear as one list to the end user.
For the wiki, I'd say just make it a free for all.  If they take the time
to create an account, let them make changes, we'll keep an eye on what gets
modified.  We can deal with spam if it becomes a problem.

If you don't like this, speak up now, otherwise, I think it would make
sense to find a solution that fits this model.

I am OK with your proposal, although I think that we could simply do
message moderation for all instead, with a few moderators.

Anyway, should we (Openwall) interpret the above as a request to go
ahead and apply the changes?

Alexander