oss-sec mailing list archives

Root name server changes -> bind

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:02:22 +0200

Hi,

We received this customer report regarding the IP number change of the "L" root
nameserver and sync with bind:

        ICANN moved one of its DNS root servers, l.root-servers.net to another IP
        address, see http://blog.icann.org/?p=227. As reported on the blog
        http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/05/identity_theft_hits_the_root_n_1.shtml,
        independent DNS servers popped up on the old root server address -- actually
        several of them.

        The security consequences of obscure DNS root server usage are obvious, IMHO.
        You might want to consider security updates to the bind package with an updated
        root.hint file. (Since the story is on Slashdot, it is as public as it can get;
        thus I use the regular channel for this request.)

Not sure if this warrants a CVE id.

Ciao, Marcus
--
Working, but not speaking, for the following german company: