oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: was: SA29489 CenterIM URL handling flaw

From: Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:22:33 +0100

Hi Steven,
* Steven M. Christey <coley () linus mitre org> [2008-03-28 00:01]:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Nico Golde wrote:
* Nico Golde <oss-security+ml () ngolde de> [2008-03-25 16:25]:
* Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak () redhat com> [2008-03-24 15:08]:
[...]
That's partly true. While centerim has no special URL
handler to handle incoming urls it does provide the ability
to list urls in a message by pressing F2. If you press enter
on one of these urls it tries to open it in an external
browser and executes the other commands as well.

This is the kind of situation that CVE adopted the "user-assisted" term
for: the user assists the attacker in his/her own demise.

makes sense.

You see the commands in the URL however so I think the
impact of this is like sending someone a message with
"please type rm -rf ~ in your shell" so the secunia rating
is a bit beyond the actual impact.

Is the URL still encoded at the time it is viewed?  if so, then I don't
expect a typical user to notice this equivalent of "rm -rf *":

  %72%6D%20%2D%72%66%20%2A

and that's part of the "smell test" for user-assisted issues.

Nope it won't be encoded. Otherwise I would agree that a
decoding hex is too much for a user :)

Kind regards
Nico

--