Nmap Development mailing list archives

How to set MTU for "Adapter for loopback capture" device?

From: David Aldrich <david.aldrich.ntml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 17:53:37 +0100

Hi

I am working on Windows and need to capture packets from a test app, using
Wireshark, via a loopback device. The goal is to test my Wireshark
dissector.

I understand that Wireshark's recommendation is to use the "Adapter for
loopback capture" device (\Device\NPF_Loopback). I am doing this and it
works fine.

I now need to test with large messages to see how my dissector handles
fragmented messages (in TCP).

To do this I need to set the MTU of the "Adapter for loopback capture"
device.

I don't know how the  "Adapter for loopback capture" device relates to
Npcap.  Please can someone advise how they are related and how I can
achieve a loopback device that allows me to set the MTU?

Best regards
David