Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Issue : "kernel: RPC: fragment too large:"

From: "Dario Ciccarone \(dciccaro\) via dev" <dev () nmap org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 20:16:05 +0000

https://serverfault.com/questions/652188/nfs-share-problems-rpc-fragment-too-large-xxxxx  - second answer on a Google
search for "kernel: RPC: fragment too large:"

With the most absolute respect, and from a professional to another: it would certainly help *immensely* if you could
provide information such as:

  *   Nmap version and command-line options used
  *   Operating system, patch level on the host being used to run nmap
  *   OS details on the host being scanned (which you should have – you own it)

It is very hard otherwise for anyone here to not only even guess what the problem might be, but trying to reproduce –
and fix, if it was an issue on nmap. As it seems, it is a benign error on the host, due possibly for the nmap options
being used. But if your provide more information, maybe even a pcap *on the host being scanned* for the traffic
received from the scanning host, and that time-sync’ed to the log, then maybe the specific packet/combination of
packets can be identified – and as I said before, either deemed “normal” or “abnormal – will fix”