Nmap Development mailing list archives

Suggested rlimit fix for nmap, GitHub pull request #2085

From: Claudia Pellegrino <nmap () cpellegrino de>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 17:54:59 +0200

Dear nmap developers,

As suggested by CONTRIBUTING.md, this is to let you know that I submitted a pull request on the nmap mirror on GitHub.

The pull request aims to fix an integer truncation issue with regard to rlimit.

The title of the PR:

Truncate rlim_cur/rlim_max if greater than INT_MAX
The URL to the PR:

https://github.com/nmap/nmap/pull/2085
The PR description:

On macOS, the rlim_t type used by rlimit is 64 bits wide. For me, getrlimit actually returns LONG_MAX as rlim_max,
which makes maximize_fdlimit return –1 due to integer truncation.

For the purposes of the maximize_fdlimit function, it should be sufficient to just truncate the value and keep the
return type of int because no one needs that many files in practice.

Fixing this issue solves #2079 and will make nmap work on macOS 10.16/11.0 Big Sur.
Thanks in advance and kind regards
Claudia