Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Can you send the Nmap Project some scan data?

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 07:56:16 +0100

How do you want them submitted? GitHub issues, mailed to the list or to you
directly?

Robin

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018, 19:22 Daniel Miller, <dmiller () nmap com> wrote:

Nmap community members and developers,

The Nmap Project is in need of current port scans in order to update the
open-port frequency data that Nmap uses to determine which ports to scan.
This data is used every time a user scans the default 1000 ports, and it is
based on scan data that is over 10 years old. A lot has changed in that
time, and Nmap's port data is no longer up-to-date.

We are already doing scans of the public Internet for this purpose. What
we desperately need is port scans of *internal* networks, behind the
firewalls and NAT, from as many different sources as possible. Ideal data
would be all-port scans (-p 1-65535), but everything is helpful, especially
scans that include more than the current default 1000 ports or that include
UDP or SCTP port scan results.

In order to make sharing scans safer and easier, I've attached a couple of
scripts that can be used to strip the output files of any identifying
information, including service and OS fingerprinting results, hostnames, IP
addresses, and traceroute data. Our preference is for XML output files,
which can be processed with nmap-sanitize.py. If you have gnmap scan output
instead, gnmap-convert.pl will convert it into a stripped-down XML format.

I really appreciate any help you can provide in this regard. Accurate port
frequency data will result in faster and more complete scan results for
everyone.

Dan