Nmap Development mailing list archives

Next Nmap Release?

From: Daniel Cater <djcater () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 20:07:45 +0100

Hello,

Firstly, I know Nmap is free and largely run by volunteers, for which I'm
very grateful.

It has been over a year since Nmap 7.70 was released (March 2018:
https://seclists.org/nmap-announce/2018/0) and I was just wondering if
there are specific features and fixes that are being waited on before the
next release can happen? (E.g. 7.80 or something else).

There have been a lot of great changes since 7.70 as can be seen by the
long list here: https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/CHANGELOG

I know I can compile from the latest source (and I do), but a lot of people
just use the release binaries, or their distro's package, and I'm seeing
quite a few scan results which could have benefited from various updates
since 7.70 (service probes, OS fingerprints, IANA updates, scripts etc.) as
well as fixes related to libpcap, libssh and others.

I don't want to pressure a rushed release, but maybe if you let us know
that there are no imminent plans for the next release, I will try and
encourage a few more people to compile from the latest source to pick up
some of the recent fixes.

Thanks.