Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to estimate Coverage and number of scanning ports

From: nnposter <nnposter () users sourceforge net>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 17:18:59 -0600

On 3/30/19 10:19 PM, Yusuke Osumi wrote:
According to the book "Nmap Network Scanning" by Fyodor, at p.141,
- 576 ports : 90% Effectivenss
- 1558 ports : 95% Effectiveness
I take "Effectiveness" as Coverage,
so when I scan 600 ports, I guess coverage is over 90%. I want to
estimate such number.

My own results of internal scanning, unobstructed by firewalls:

* top 16 ports represent 50% of all ports open
* top 74 ports represent 75% of all ports open
* top 627 ports represent 90% of all ports open
* top 4,313 ports represent 95% of all ports open

These numbers represent one large corporate entity so the curve is obviously compressed to the left, when compared to the universe.

Cheers,
nnposter