Nmap Development mailing list archives

npcap caused BSOD!

From: "Mike ." <dmciscobgp () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:38:48 +0000

hello all

um...3rd time was NOT a charm with newest npcap! blue screened me hard! a little upset but even more confused than
anything. so the install log pointed to all being ok. but here is where the weirdness begins (and i KNOW what i saw in
front of me btw!)

same issues i have had before came up (cannot open lo0 interface) so it really was working but wasn't.(meaning it had
ENABLED finally with no more "identifying network" like it had done in the past) the craziness was when i opened up the
npcap adapter GUI. npcap apparently BY DEFAULT! binds to NBT services....um why???? and the madness after that was when
i opened up Currports (GUI netstat) but what do i see? a running DHCP server port 67 open!??? client i would
understand, not a server! and i ALWAYS monitor my ports. i have NEVER had that open! so lastly, i was told to put npcap
service to start at boot. this is where it went downhill in a hurry!

first off, npcap had 2 options, npcap and npcap_wifi. i noticed wifi part was not turned on. odd moment here. when i
went to services and right clicked to start it, i was given a "file cannot be found". yet i located it on my own (but
it still didn't see it in services after that). windows just didnt see it? so the fun occured when i set that to boot
start. restart then BLUE SCREEN ! offending driver was npcap BUT ...the offending function was found in
dumpata_dump.sys??? i have no idea what that is/means. thank heavens i could get to a safe mode and uninstall npcap (i
knew that was all it would take). the BSOD said "driver failed to offload something....status was still pending??"
something to that effect. and of course, after the uninstall a happy windows once again! so what the hell happened!!??
if someone wants to view this bugcheck, i happilly saved it and would love to submit it but not sure how here. i am
dying to know what the hell caused all this. i think at this point my machine hates npcap and i am starting to agree
with it :)